Hurricane Harvey Legal Relief Project
If you have been affected by Hurricane Harvey and need legal help, we are here for you.
The types of issues we can help with include, but not limited to:
- Clear Home Ownership
- FEMA Appeals
- Family Matters – Custody, Divorce
- Insurance – Flood, Home, Renters
- Landlord / Tenant Issues – Evictions, Repairs
- Contractor Abuse / Fraud – Home Repair Issues
- Mortgages – Foreclosures, Reverse Mortgages, Repairs
- Consumer / Medical Debt
- Tax Issues with the IRS
- Replacing Lost Documents
- Document Preparation Fraud – Notario Fraud, Tax Return Preparer Fraud
If you cannot attend one of the Harvey-specific clinics, please call our Information Line at (713) 228-0732 or visit our Events page to find out about other free general legal advice clinics. If you let our staff know that you are Harvey-affected, your case will be routed to the Hurricane Harvey Legal Relief Project, regardless of which clinic you attend.
Here are some helpful online materials about disaster recovery:
If you are a non-profit or community organization providing assistance to low-income households affected by Hurricane Harvey and you are interested in partnering with Houston Volunteer Lawyers, please call 713-228-0733 or send an email to Harvey@hvlp.org.
The services we provide include:
- Legal Advice Clinics – clients meet with attorneys one-on-one to discuss their problem and get legal advice and counsel. Can be on an ad hoc (one-time) basis or regularly scheduled.
- Education Workshops – Presentations and workshops to clients or caseworkers about their legal rights on different topics or how to identify problems with legal solutions.
- Resource Fairs – Host a table at a resource fair, providing legal rights flyer and information about upcoming legal advice clinics and education workshops.
Attorneys interested in volunteering to help victims of the storm with legal needs should register on our Portal or email ProBono@hvlp.org. As volunteer opportunities become available, we will be in contact.
The Hurricane Harvey Legal Relief Project is in partnership with Equal Justice Works, and is funded by the Hurricane Harvey Relief Fun, established by Mayor Sylvester Turner and Harris County Judge Ed Emmett, and managed by the Greater Houston Community Foundation. Houston Volunteer Lawyers also received a grant from the Litigation Section of the State Bar of Texas to assist Hurricane Harvey survivors in matters which may require litigation.